- British Airways breaks record for most number of bookings ever made in a day
- Perfect storm of pay day, great deals and the turmoil of 2016 have encouraged people book
- 62 per cent of Brits said travel one of the top things to do this year and 67 per cent said that’s because of world events in 2016
- 42 per cent want to use their trip to make amazing memories and 41 per cent say it’s to immerse themselves in local culture
British Airways has broken its record for the most number of flights and holidays booked in a single day.
The surge in bookings on January 31 reinforces research that the airline conducted throughout January, which found that 62 per cent of Brits said that travel and seeing more of the world was one of the most important things they wanted to achieve this year. And 67 per cent put that down to the turmoil and world events of 2016.
Adam Daniels, British Airways’ chief commercial officer, said: “We’re putting the surge down to the perfect storm of pay-day, the great deals available in our sale and the fact people want to get away and see the world after the turmoil of 2016. There were certainly a lot of savvy customers ‘seizing the day’ yesterday to bag a bargain.
“And although our World Sale is now over, we still have great fares and holiday packages available with city breaks from £119 and a week in the sun starting from £189 per person.”
The research also found that almost half (42 per cent) said creating amazing memories was why they wanted to travel more, while 41 per cent said the key reason they travelled was to soak up local culture.
The top five destinations Brits most want to visit in 2017 are:
- Canada (20 per cent)
- Dubai (11 per cent)
- Barbados (10 per cent)
- Hong Kong (10 per cent)
- New Orleans (9 per cent)
To book visit: ba.com
Notes to editors:
•British Airways’ research was carried out on its behalf by Ginger Comms
•2,082 respondents were interviewed in the UK, USA, Nigeria, South Africa, the United Arab Emirates, India, China, Italy, Germany and France in January 2017.
- NEW SUMMER SUN FLIGHTS FROM DUBLIN AND EDINBURGH
- LAUNCH OF MILAN FLIGHTS FROM TWO LONDON AIRPORTS
- BRITISH AIRWAYS FLIGHTS RETURN TO BIRMINGHAM AND BRISTOL
- THAT’S COCKTAIL HOUR IN NEW ORLEANS Y’ALL!
- HIGH FLYING JAZZ: BRITISH AIRWAYS REVEALS WINNERS OF BUSK FOR YOUR SEAT COMPETITION
- ALMOST TWO MILLION SEATS AND A NEW ROUTE FROM LONDON CITY