All the beauty of the Greek island of Skiathos – home to the hit musical Mamma Mia! – came to London City Airport today (June 26) courtesy of the London City Singers.
To celebrate the inaugural British Airways flight to Skiathos, London’s first all-female barber shop chorus entertained everyone with songs from the film, including Dancing Queen, Money, Money, Money and Waterloo.
Film-goes will recognise Skiathos, part of the Sporades archipelago in the Aegean Sea, as the fictitious island of Kalokairi, the setting for Mamma Mia!
Now travellers can see the island for themselves using the new three-times-a-week British Airways flights from London City. As well as its famous film connection Skiathos is favoured by tourists for its many pine forests and over 60 beaches.
It is the third Greek Island route, alongside Mykonos and Santorini, that British Airways flies to direct from London City Airport and it is the only scheduled service from the UK to Skiathos.
Flights will operate during the peak summer weeks until September.
Basic each way fares from £80 are available to book on www.ba.com/londoncity
The aptly named London City Singers was formed in 2007 with a group of just seven ladies. The chorus now has around 30 members who sing a cappella four-part harmony, arranged in the barbershop style.
Luke Hayhoe, British Airways’ general manager customer and commercial, said: “After the release of the hugely popular Mamma Mia! film, Skiathos became one of the most sought after holiday destinations. It sits perfectly with our other Greek Island routes and gives our customers at London City the chance to put themselves in the picture”.
Customers travelling through the airport today were also given the chance to win two tickets on the new service by taking a picture postcard of themselves with a Skiathos backdrop. The best photo posted on social media with the hashtags #FlyLCY #BASkiathos will win two flights to Skiathos this summer.
Notes to editors:
- The new routes means 29 destinations will operate in British Airways’ colours from London City Airport this summer offering almost two million seats
- There are some excellent holiday packages available to book on ba.com including:
- Seven nights at the four-star Angelina Studios, Kolois, on a room only basis from £524 per person in July, based on two people sharing, including return flights from London City and 23kg of luggage
- Seven nights at the four-star Skiathos Club, Vassilias, on a bed and breakfast basis, from £644.50p per person in July, based on two people sharing, including return flights from London City and 23kg of luggage
- Seven nights at the five-star Skiathos Princess, Aghia Paraskevi, on a bed and breakfast basis, from £1,412 per person in July, based on two people sharing, including return flights from London City and 23kg of luggage
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- BRITISH AIRWAYS PUSHES NEW TECHNOLOGY IN AVIATION FIRST
- SHE SELLS SEA SHELLS: BRITISH AIRWAYS LAUNCHES NEW INDIAN OCEAN ROUTE
- BRITISH AIRWAYS POWERS ITS FUTURE BY TURNING HOUSEHOLD RUBBISH INTO JET FUEL
- BRITISH AIRWAYS' CARIBBEAN OPERATIONS NOW BACK TO NORMAL
- SUPER SAVINGS AS BRITISH AIRWAYS 250,000 SEATS FOR LESS THAN £30
- THE SOCIAL SKIES: PILOTS YOU SHOULD FOLLOW